Monday, September 27, 2010

BIRTHDAY POST (2) - Life advice

My other favourite cake, Mousse Picasso, Layers of white and dark chocolate mousse, wrapped in folds of milk chocolate (gluten free).
from the amazing La Renaissance Patisserie, The Rocks, Sydney. They must have some of the most fabulous cakes and macarons (in the world!) because whatever I ate there (also croissant, danishes, coffee) taste beautiful.

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

In Elizabeth Edwards's book Resilience , she quotes the Leonard Cohen song "Anthem": Ring the bells that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in. That's an amazing insight-to know that nothing's perfect and it's not intended to be.

Leona Watson's tips for pursuing your dream career:
-Ask yourself what you would do if you had a free Sunday. That's your passion. Then think about how that might work as the focus of a new business or career change for you. 
-Before you go to sleep, spend five minutes imagining yourself in your new career and note how good you feel. Whenever you get the 'wobbles', this will remind you you're on the right track.

In her new column for O, author, political commentator, and veteran campaign strategist Donna Brazile offers her rules to live by.
1. Be the buffalo.
Wilma Mankiller, the first female principal chief of the Cherokee nation, once told me how the cow runs away from the storm while the buffalo charges directly toward it—and gets through it quicker. Whenever I'm confronted with a tough challenge, I do not prolong the torment. I become the buffalo. 
2. Organize the small to make room for the big.
I am addicted to gadgets. Trouble is, I keep forgetting where I put them. A friend once said, "Our lives are spent in moments—how many of them do you want to waste looking for your cell phone or BlackBerry?" Finding a place for everything frees up time to pursue what you really want. 
3. Go help someone.
My mother wasn't a very patient woman. If I complained about being lonely or bored, she'd tell me to go help someone, anyone. To this day, when I start feeling sorry for myself, I look for a good deed to do. But I keep in mind one thing....
4. Ask the turtle.
I'm proud to call Gloria Steinem a friend, and this advice came from her. While on a field trip in college with her geology class, she discovered a giant snapping turtle that had climbed out of the river, up a dirt path, right to the edge of a road. Worried it would soon be run over, she wrestled the enormous reptile off the embankment and back down to the water. At that moment, her professor walked up and asked what in the world she was doing. With some pride, she told him. He said that the turtle had probably spent a month crawling up that long dirt path to safely lay its eggs in the mud on the side of the road and that she had destroyed all that effort with her "rescue." Gloria tells this story to illustrate the most important political lesson she ever learned: Always ask the turtle. 
5. Wear comfortable shoes.
Men don't wear high heels, and they don't make allowances for women who do. Tottering down the corridors of power in beautiful but crippling stilettos telegraphs your preference for style over substance. 
6. Take care of your body.
This has always been a difficult one for me. I sleep too little, go too fast, and indulge too often in minor vices. But as my Grandma Frances said, "You can only go as far and as long as your body will take you." That's why I slow down to enjoy an occasional glass (or two) of finely aged single-malt scotch. I don't think it's what Grandma Frances meant, but taking that moment is what allows me to keep going too far and too fast the rest of the time.

I find this writing below long time ago, I forget where or who wrote it, I remember I saved it on my computer because I really like/d it: (From anonymous),

If I could live my life again, I’d laugh at my misfortunes more and other people’s predicaments less. Spend more time counting my blessings, less time scrutinizing my blemishes.

I’d spend more time playing with my children and grandchildren, less time watching professional athletes perform. More time enjoying what I have, less time thinking about the things I don’t have.

If I could live my life again, I’d walk in the rain more without an umbrella and listen less to weather reports. I’d spend much more time outdoors in small towns and much less time in tall buildings and big cities. I’d eat more of everything healthy and delicious, less of everything each meal, saving enough on the bill to feed a starving child.

If I could live my life again, I’d get more beach sand between my toes and less friction between myself and others. I’d take more long baths and fewer showers (I can’t explain why I’ve always been in such a hurry to spend my time). I’d spend more time with old people and animals, less time with strangers at clubs and parties.

I’d act the age of my children and grandchildren more and act my own age less. I’d visit libraries, bookstores, and computer networks more and malls and movie theatres less. I’d play the piano more and play fewer mindless games like solitaire. I’d give my spouse and children more tender touches and much less advice.

If I could live my life again, I’d spend more time fully involved in the present moment, less time remembering and anticipating. I’d be more aware of my core values and life mission, and less concerned with the reasons why I might not measure up.

I’d smile more, frown less. I’d express my feelings more, try less to impress my friends and neighbours. I’d forgive and ask forgiveness more, and curse my adversaries less – but most of all I’d be more spontaneous and active, less hesitant and subdued.

When a great idea or spur-of-the-moment adventure popped up – an Easter egg hunt, an open house at school, a game of hide-and-seek, an oppurtunity to solve a problem at work or to satisfy a disgruntled customer, a hay ride, a chance to build a snowman or paint over graffiti, an invitation to watch a lunar eclipse or a shuttle launch. I’d be less likely to stay in my chair objecting, “It’s not in our plan” and more inclined to jump up and say, “Yes, let’s”.


And finally this Randy Pausch's video is my favourite. This video changed my life for the much better. Thanks Randy, RIP x


Please share with me what are your favourite life advices x

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing, amazing man - that video made me tear up, thank-you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing all these inspiring words of wisdom Natalie! They are all brilliant. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to share, and glad you guys love it xx

    ReplyDelete