Saturday, September 11, 2010

THIS WEEK ...

WHAT I LEARNT :

--- About sperm donor (from cosmopolitan usa)
"The price per vial of sperm varies between $300 and $600, depending on things like how educated the donor is (PHDs are pricier than bachelor's degrees). Many women don't get pregnant the first time, so you may have to do a few rounds. However, if you do get pregnant immediately, you can have the extra sperm stored and use it later if you want your child to have a sibling. Even if you don't choose to give the kid a sibling, he/she may have a half brother/half sister out there since other women may have bought sperm from the same person. You and your child may never know since the purchasing info is confidential, but there is the Donor Sibling Registry, where people can sign up and try to connect with siblings who are open to meeting."

--- Protect your bond from infidelity by making sure you're the person your guy confides in the most. (from aus cosmo)

--- According to Doctor William Fry from Loma Linda University School of Medicine in California,one minute of intense laughter or 100 laughs, equates to 15 minutes on an exercise bike.

--- Tips on how to create laughter : (I forgot where I read this from)
- Practise smiling, this is the start of laughter.
- Count your blessings- make a list of all the good things in your life.
- When you hear laughter seek it out- ask 'what's so funny?'
- Share funny stories.
- Spend time with people who have successfully incorporated humour into their everyday lives.
- Spend time with children to enhance playfulness and add humour to your life.
- Take yourself less seriously. Viewyour life in context, deal with stress, dress less seriously, keep a toy at your desk or car and laugh at yourself.
- Create opportunities to laugh - watch a comedy, go to a stand up gigs and read funny books.
- Figure out what makes you laugh and do it more often. Develop your own sense of humour. Picture from http://www.retirement-quotes.com


WHAT I DID :


--- I saw Swan Lake on Ice at The Lyric Theatre, Star city.

The first time I saw Imperial Ice Stars Swan Lake is a few years ago when they came to Sydney. Since then, it became my second favourite show after Cirque du Soleil. I thought it's beautiful, cleverly choreographed, and convincingly acted. So when I saw it again this time around, I had high expectation and because I did alot of figure skating, so I know what is great skating and I can spot mistakes. Australian public doesn't usually watch figure skating as there is none in free Tv, so every spin the skaters did was followed by huge applause. :) I would say the spin and jump were not up to competition standard (I think there is only one or two triple (toe) that I saw) but its understandable considering how small the ice is. But the choreography is beautiful, especially the 4swans Pas de Quatro and the introduction of the princesses from different countries.
1. I wish there are more skaters who dance in the air (with string).(last time there were three, this time only one which is Odette).
2. Last time there were four swans in pointe ballet shoes, Odette and 3 other swans. This time only Odette. I understand it's a skating show not a ballet, but the scene of a male skater dance/lift those three (in pointe shoes) swans back then was one of the highlights. I mean he lifted 3 persons in one time!
3. The one who played the witch Rothbart last time was better (sorry!) my favourite scene back then was when Odette confronted Rothbart after The Prince gave Odille the ring. It sent me goosebumps. I love the music they skated to, too. The whole act was so memorable.
4. One of the other highlights of the show is when the prince dance with both Odette and Odille. It was just breathtakingly beautiful. This time the prince doesn't do the death spiral with both Odette/Odille. Last time, he did and that element was the highlight of the whole number.
4. This time I thought the Prince is better acted and Odette (played by the same skater as last time) played the role more beautifully too.
5. The Pas de Quatro is so much better. LoveeD iT!
6. The Pair tricks in the introduction of the princesses are more difficult and more dangerous. AmAZinG! This is the part that the audiences clapped the most.
7. I love the Closing this time (after everybody bowed, they do a final closing number which is amazing, the trick-highlights are all repeated everywhere across the ice).
8. The costumes and the scenery are as beautiful as last time and as it can be.

So overall, I was happy with the improvement, yet I wished they didn't take away the parts that I like :(

The You Tube video above : This is the old production of Swan Lake on Ice (with the amazing Rothbart whom I like very much, a male skater lifting 3 swans on pointe, 3 swans dancing in the air)


---I saw/watched :
-Step up 3D in the cinema (the dance choreo is amazing AMAZING).
-The Emmy's Award on Tv (Love the opening number, Don Draper dance!!).
-Annie, The Royal Adventure On Dvd(Camilla Belle was so adorable!!!! when she was a kid).


WHAT I LIKED READING/WATCHING :

From www.galadarling.com
" Recently, in a large city in Australia, a poster featuring a young, thin and tan woman appeared in the big window of a gym. It said, “This summer, do you want to be a mermaid or a whale?”
A middle-aged woman, whose physical characteristics did not match those of the woman on the poster, responded publicly to the question posed by the gym.
To Whom It May Concern,
Whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, sea lions, curious humans.) They have an active sex life, get pregnant and have adorable baby whales. They have a wonderful time with dolphins stuffing themselves with shrimp. They play and swim in the seas, seeing wonderful places like Patagonia, the Bering Sea and the coral reefs of Polynesia.
Whales are wonderful singers and have even recorded CDs. They are incredible creatures and virtually have no predators other than humans.
They are loved, protected and admired by almost everyone in the world.
Mermaids don’t exist.
If they did exist, they would be lining up outside the offices of Argentinean psychoanalysts due to identity crisis. Fish or human? They don’t have a sex life because they kill men who get close to them, not to mention how could they have sex? Just look at them… where is IT?
Therefore, they don’t have kids either.
Not to mention, who wants to get close to a girl who smells like a fish store?
The choice is perfectly clear to me: I want to be a whale. "

From www.mamamia.com.au

Rachel's Birthday Video from Kristian Anderson on Vimeo.

This is so touching :(


Fromhttp://heyscotty.tumblr.com/post/1077966649/hi-mommy-share-sunday-july-11-2010-at-1-16pm
THis is so sad. I DARE YOU NOT TO CRY.


QUOTEs THIS WEEK :

Beginnings are usually scary and Endings are usually sad, but it's Everything in Between that makes it All Worth Living. -Anonymous

It is absurd to divide people into good & bad. People are either charming or tedious. -Oscar Wilde


The Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide 2011 is out. I was happy that a few of my favourite restaurants, Sake Restaurant & Bar, Cafe Sopra, Spice Temple and Golden Century have finally gained its first one-chef-hat. Although Sake only recently opened.
I was quite surprised that Tetsuya lost a hat (from 3hat to 2hat) and Pier lost two hat (from 3hat to 1hat). Galileo lost its one-hat and Yoshi lost a hat (from 2hat to 1hat). I hope they are not sad, there are so many great restaurants in Sydney and I understand how tough the market is :) I'm going to dine in at all the restaurants that just lost/drop hat/hats. To make them a bit happier :)

1 comment:

  1. I always feel so much smartier/happier after reading your blog. I love those quotes!

    ReplyDelete