Thursday, November 4, 2010

WEEKLY DIARY



THINGS I LOVE THIS WEEK :

This article from Oprah :Richard O'Barry : The power of passion

" Richard O'Barry has a unique calling. "If there's a dolphin anywhere in the world that's in trouble," he says, "my phone rings." Through a combination of techniques that include undercover operations and negotiations with hunters, governments, and dolphin-exhibiting businesses, O'Barry has rescued dolphins in the Bahamas, Nicaragua, Brazil, and the United States, among other places, animals that have been abused in squalid aquariums, unfiltered tanks, and concrete pools that are the marine mammal equivalent of padded cells.

His passion to protect these animals from commercial dolphin shows and swim-with-a-dolphin resort programs (a healthy dolphin can sell for more than $200,000) began 40 years ago, after O'Barry, then head trainer at the Miami Seaquarium, was hired for the television show Flipper. As it happens, the title role was played by five bottlenose dolphins, one of whom ultimately swam into O'Barry's arms, looked up at him, and stopped breathing. It was such a deliberate act that he believed it to be suicide. Today, as a result of that experience, he's the ultimate dolphin freedom fighter.

The world got a moving look at his mission in last spring's Oscar-winning documentary, The Cove, which chronicles O'Barry's determination to end a secret dolphin slaughter in Taiji, Japan. In the movie, O'Barry faces off with local fishermen and fishery officials, who call their annual cull of up to 23,000 dolphins "pest control." Using hidden cameras, The Cove revealed the truth—that most are gaffed with metal spears and die slow, frantic deaths; a smaller number are herded into pens to be sold. "Once you see this movie, you're gonna think twice before you buy a ticket to a dolphin show," O'Barry says.

At 70, O'Barry remains tireless in his defense of one of the ocean's most intelligent creatures, roaming the Earth to help them. His ultimate hope is simple: "Basically, I would like to be put out of business. That's my goal." "

I love this picture :


I love this article about Kate Moss from Madison Magazine Dec 2010 edition :
" Mario Testino encountered Kate Moss backstage at a Galliano show when she was just 14 years old. She was sobbing, disappointed because she'd only been given one outfit to model. In Kate Moss by Mario Testino - the photographer's 10th and latest book - he recalls that he said to her, "In Life, there are perfumes and colognes. You need to use lots of cologne as the scent fades away; with a perfume you just use a drop and it lasts all night. You are a perfume, you will go on and on." He couldn't have been more right - in the two decades since, Moss has served as one of fashion's most reliably on-point ambassadors to the world, posing and vamping and skulking like no one else. "

also from Madison Mag :
Word of Wisdom from Diane Keaton, 64, actress,

"When I was younger I had these enormous vanities about what I expected from myself. I'm glad to have a comfortable and fascinating life, but now I see it for what it is, so I can be braver and more spontaneous and say to myself, 'Oh, screw it, just go out there and do it"

I love this quote :
"Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best" - Henry Van Dyk

I love this advice from Kristina Karlsson, Founder of Kikki.K :
"Start each morning in a refreshed working environment by spending around 5 minutes at the end of each day filing documents and tidying your workplace. You'll be more organized, and feel inspired to make your time more efficient."

4 THINGS I DO THIS WEEK :
- I've finished watching season 3 of So You Think You Can Dance Canada. It is amazing! I especially love any dance numbers that Dennis and Amanda do together. They are so passionate. I love them :)
- I've been drinking Nudie Coconut water. It is refreshing and not too sweet. It's perfect when I crave sugary drink!
- I've been listening to Ali Milner's music http://alimilner.bandcamp.com/ I especially love her songs 'I dare you' and 'I wanna be loved by you'. Gorgeous songs! They are my favourite songs at the moment.
xx

3 comments:

  1. what? say more pleaseeee..
    hahaha I love to read about your love adventure.
    need update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you only appear when I write about boys. lol
    you need to update too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe.. I guess. I'll read all your post but comment only the one with boys. haha.. I've updated. check it out.
    xox

    ReplyDelete