Sunday, October 21, 2012

Birthday 2012 reflection

“At some point your memories, your stories, your adventures will be the only thing that you have left.”— Chuck  Palahniuk

“We all live in suspense, from day to day, from hour to hour; in other words, we are the hero of our own story.”Mary McCarthy

Last month was my birthday. I am 28 years old now. I can't believe how super fast time flies. It's scary to think that my parents are growing older each day. I love them very much and I'd love them to be healthy and around as long as I live.

So why does time fly by as you get older? I find this answer from www.livebreatheloveinspire.tumblr.com 
"When you are younger, you have more novel, new experiences. You see your mother for the first time. You learn your first language. Everything around you is new information. When the brain puts together these new details, they seem slower when you look at them. When you age, your understanding of the world is larger. But because you are constantly surrounded by the usual family, school, work and experiences, details aren't taken in so intricately. This makes entire day seem like fleeting moments! If you turned 80 - looking back, the middle of your life will appear to be your 20's!
Moral of the story: Do something new every day to make your life seem longer and richer."
"How wrong to have been so negative, how wrong to have been so gloomy, how wrong to have run away from life, how wrong to have said no, again and again, instead of yes."  —Jonathan Franzen
In the coming year, I'd love to do more new things and say yes to more things (of course except for sleazy guys on bars that is!). I'd love to do more than I can. Participate more in life instead of just observing carefully.

I started this blog about 2 years ago after inspired by this Oscar Wilde's quote "I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train." I thought wow the best book one can read should be one's own diary full of one's amazing experiences, however good or sad, but always amazing and never boring.
“It seemed to me that this was the way we all lived: full to the brim with gratitude and joy one day, wrecked on the rocks the next. Finding the balance between the two was the art and the salvation.”
— “The Year of Pleasures” by Elizabeth Berg

Source: http://make-me-laugh-and-i-am-yours.tumblr.com/post/26810060673

I want to be that person I could have become. Had a rich life. Great but kind. Wise but humble.

I want to

Picture : http://conflictingheart.tumblr.com/post/24124722144

I'd love to go to the cinema more regularly to watch a good movie. Sometimes movies can move me or touch me in a way and how amazing is that. I love going to Dendy or Palace Cinema in the afternoon to watch an art house/foreign movie and then think about the movie for the rest of the day (or week if it's really that memorable). The cinema is usually quiet in the afternoon and the feeling I get from certain movies when I leave the theatre room is just indescribable.
“There are certain emotions in your body that not even your best friend can sympathize with, but you will find the right film or the right book, and it will understand you.”
— Bjork
Sometimes I'd go with a friend and afterward, we would have a good discussion about the movie over food or coffee. I love good conversations and I always try hard (and will try even harder) to really listen, not just look at them and nod or think about the things I want to say.
My actions are my only true belongings.
—Thich Nhat Hanh
I'm always open-minded and non-judgemental. Since I was very young, I made friends with people from different ages, races, religions, sexual preferences, hobbies, careers. I guess the reason why I am so open-minded is that exactly, from having friends from all walks of life. I always believe in thinking outside the box and yet also not judging people who is different from me (who don't think outside the box).
Source: http://themadisoncomplex.tumblr.com/post/32410447393

I love what Paulo Coelho said :
“We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It’s one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it’s another to think that yours is the only path.”

and what Sherrilyn Kenyon said :
“It’s easy to look at people and make quick judgments about them, their present and their past, but you’d be amazed at the pain and tears a single smile hides. What a person shows to the world is only one tiny facet of the iceberg hidden from sight. And more often than not, it’s lined with cracks and scars that go all the way to the foundation of their soul.”
“There’s something beautiful about keeping certain aspects of your life hidden. Maybe people and clouds are beautiful because you can’t see everything.”
— Kamenashi Kazuya
I always find human intriguing. There are always the sides of them that you would never know. In fact there are at least 5 things about me that I want to keep to myself. When I started this blog, I wrote quite a lot about my dating stories. At that time, my blog was like my secret diary because none of my friends knew. Since I shared this blog with my friends and younger sister/brother, I deleted all my love and dating posts because I don't think it's necessary to share my embarrassing stories :) I also deleted one particular sad post just because I don't want to remember that anymore. I want to look through all my posts in the future and I don't want to relive that one. I guess I don't have to remember everything about my life you know, just the good parts. It's always good to write to release my emotions but I don't have to publish it. Sometimes I wrote and left them just to be in drafts. After a month, I would read them again before I deleted them and would think of how unreasonable I am when I am emotional. Sometimes the hard part is keeping my mouth shut when I am angry or upset. I don't want to say hurtful things to people over silly matter that I will only regret in the future, especially to my loved ones. I think I'm getting better at that but sometimes when I have difficult, rude clients, I really just want to tell it to their faces that they don't have to be so rude or unreasonable. In long term, dealing with such people, I guess would either make me crazy and drive me mental or make me the most patient and 'zen' people on earth :)

I'll also be more grateful in life. "We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude," said Cynthia Ozick. Like the love from the people who love us the most and who is always there for us, like our family and close friends. I'll stop thinking about the boy/s who is/was/re never there when I need him/them.

For the future, I want to save lots of money and work really really hard. I love this quote from Anaïs Nin
“If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise.”

and from Vincent van Gogh “Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.”

I want to (like Sarah Wilson said) "embrace my uncertainness, owning it and not running from it". 
"With practice you can become familiar enough with self-doubt and anxiety that you hold them nimbly and un-distractedly" (from Psychology Today).

Whenever something bad happen, I take a deep breath and think 'Will this matter in a year' and 'What is the worst thing that can happen?' and always face up to my problem as soon as I can so I can have a peace of mind asap.
After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy,” (Yui Ikari, The End of Evangelion).

I read this fact from www.livebreatheloveinspire.tumblr.com 
Hugging is good medicine.
It transfers energy and gives the person hugged an emotional lift. You need 4 hugs a day for survival, eight for maintenance, and twelve for growth. Scientists say that hugging is a form of communication because it can say things you don't have the words for. And the nicest thing about about a hug is that you usually can't give one without getting one.

from www.sarahwilson.com.au
"Ask the Ikarian people here the key to longevity and they will tell you it's the wine." From her blog, these are 2 out of 5 points that I love the most and will start doing :)
"- it's only ever drunk with food and never alone. You always drink wine with loved ones. A loved ones arrives, no matter the time of day, and out comes the wine a block of cheese and some tomatoes. We witnessed this at 11 am one morning.
- it's drunk slowly. they stress this over and over. it takes time."

So, I'll hug and drink wine slowly, with food :) 

Speaking of wine, these below are my favourite dessert wine and my favourite rose (can someone please tell me how to put an accent on top of my 'e') :(


And these are my birthday cakes from last month : Gelato cakes (Juliette, Bombe Alaska and The Block), all from Gelato Messina.


They are all absolutely amazing and delicious, bought by my work friends and myself :) These are what they are made from (drawings are from Gelato Messina website).




On my birthday weekend, I had a few friends over and we had 3 sushi platters from Zushi and some amazing apple pie frozen yogurt from Wow Cow :)

And this is a cake made by my lovely friend, Beatriz. Nothing beats a cake especially baked for you by your own friend! Especially when it's heart-shaped, chocolate and tasted seriously good :)

Happy birthday to me!!! 

In a year, I want to be able to read this blog post and feeling proud of myself of what I've done when I was 28, since this post.
“There is one purpose to life and one only: to bear witness and to understand as much as possible of the complexity of the world- its beauty, its mysteries, its riddles.”
— Anne Rice
and finally(!!!) this is one of my all time favourite quote :
“Don’t expect to get anything back, don’t expect recognition for your efforts, don’t expect your genius to be discovered or your love to be understood. Act because you need to act.”
— Paulo Coelho

Picture from : http://shahirzag.com/
"Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through your fingers. So much time you can waste it. But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know." - Lauren Oliver (Before I Fall)

No comments:

Post a Comment