Tuesday, October 16, 2012

FOOD DIARY september

BREAKFAST

Sweet breakfast: Waffles with chocolate and ice cream, from Bon Bon Chocolate Cafe.
This is THE perfect sweet breakfast! Warm waffles, high quality chocolate sauce, creamy vanilla ice cream, plus some strawberries to balance off the sweetness and richness. (and also for vitamin C) ^^

This 70% hot chocolate from Bon bon Chocolate Cafe is amazing, velvety smooth, so luscious, warm,  perfectly rich yet not too sweet nor too heavy. This is probably my most favourite dark hot chocolate drink ever! (my favourite milk hot chocolate is from Lindt). Drinking this from the tall glass makes me feel elegant in a way ^^

"Relax and breathe in the aromas and tastes of delights created by master craftsmen from the great chocolate houses of Europe and discover the varied and subtle tastes of exquisite blends of the world’s greatest cacao beans sourced from distant and exotic lands." --Bonbon cafe website
Savoury breakfast: Frittata with prosciutto di parma, mozzarella, and rocket, served with tomato and basil salad. From Bacco Wine Bar Pasticceria. 
I love going to Bacco Wine Bar Pasticceria at Chifley Square, the pastries and cakes are simply amazing and they also serve italian pizza, panini and salads for lunch.

Chinese breakfast: Pork and preserved egg congee, dim sims, fried doughs, chinese tea.
I love going to a yum cha/ chinese restaurant on Sunday mornings and have some yum cha or congee. I grew up eating preserved egg so I love them :)

LUNCH
Steak and bread and red wine: Nibbling on some beautiful bread and olive oil while waiting for my steak to arrive. Sometimes the waiting is almost as exciting as the eating :)

Wagyu flank steak with chimmichurri from Ash st Cellar. Chimmichurri is originally Argentinian, very often used as sauce for grilled meats. It is normally made from chopped parsley, garlic, olive oil, oregano, white or red vinegar. This steak itself is delicious and perfectly medium rare and I love Shiraz with my steak.
Ash st Cellar and wine bar, tucked away behind The Ivy is a modern European style bistro and intimate wine bar which serve European tapas to compliment its strong wine list categorised according to nose, palate and colour. They offer 26 wines by the glass and open all day for breakfast, lunch dinner and food in between.

German: Lowenbrau's selection of Bavarian specialties -- Sausages, Chicken schnitzel, Meat loaf and Roast pork belly, served with Mashed potatoes, Sauerkraut, Braised red cabbage, Bread dumplings and Bier gravy. From Lowenbrau Keller.
This Munich-style restaurant located at The Rocks serves traditional Bavarian dishes and quality imported biers, which most I can't pronouce haha. The German music, dressed up staffs and lively ambiance make you feel like you are in a different country :)

French: Beef and red wine stew with potatoes and carrots. From Le Grand Cafe at Alliance Francaise Sydney. This dish is so hearty and satisfying and the sauce is so delicious. Alliance Francaise Sydney, located at the Clarence st CBD offers French language classes, cooking & theatre workshops, cultural events and movies during the annual Alliance Francaise French Film Festival. This cafe downstairs serves coffee, pastries, foods, and daily lunch special ($15 for plat du jour and a glass of wine or $12 for coffee and baguette). Very affordable and tasted delicious. I also love the french vibe of this place. I can hear people speaking french and some students around me doing their french language homework. The CBD location also attracts office workers having lunch or working on their laptop with a cup of coffee.

Sushi: Scampi sushi from Condor Japanese Restaurant, York st, CBD. 
Yum I love scampi.

More sushi: Tempura oyster, salmon belly sushi, sea urchin sushi and tuna belly sushi from Makoto Restaurant. Makoto is one of my favourite place for sushi, their sushis are fresh and they always have different varieties of fish in their daily special menu. I love trying different fishes for my sushi but my favourite sushi would have to be sea urchin, salmon roe and tuna belly :)

Ramen: Spicy ramen with roast pork and boiled egg from Ichi-ban Boshi CBD. I love the slightly soft boiled egg, the tender roast pork, the textures and perfect thickness of the noodle. and the delicious broth.
Ichi-ban Boshi is an authentic japanese restaurant which is located just opposite of Kinokuniya bookstore CBD. This place is very popular as it is cheap and the food is good and the portion is filling. The noodles are made fresh right in the stores as it is believed that fresh noodle tasted best. Their noodles are cooked al dente because they believe that that's the way noodles should be eaten and the reason why Japanese slurp their noodles is because they want to eat the noodles quickly, while still al dente. The freshness and purity of the noodle bring out the true flavours of the soup.

DINNER
.
Oyster tempura from Busshari Japanese Restaurant. Located at the heart of bustling Potts Point, Busshari is popular among the locals and the restaurant has a sophisticated yet unpretentious ambiance. The sashimi is fresh and beautifully presented and although I prefer my oysters natural, but this tempura oysters are quite addictive! 

Wagyu beef sizzling Tobanyaki. The wagyu is juicy and tender and by cooking the pieces myself, I can choose how medium rare I want the pieces to be, I even cooked a piece til the end just to see how it tasted like lol. But the aroma when it's all sizzling and cooking in front of you is so good. I also love the square burner and the ceramic plate. They looked so Japanese and so traditional and so beautiful with all the writings on it :)

SWEETS

Cupcakes: Peanut Butter Chocolate (chocolate chip studded peanut butter cake with peanut butter icing) & Rose Chocolate (dark chocolate cake with with rosewater flavoured chocolate buttercream icing). From Ghermez Cupcakes.
I love their cupcakes. So pretty (yes I eat with my eyes sometimes :p) and the combination of flavours offered are quite special.

Cake/pie: Guylian golden chocolate pie, Guylian mini chocolate tart and Copenhagen honeycomb and butterscotch ice cream. Just so you know I don't always indulge myself like this :p

Pastry: Profiterole from Strawberry Cream Cafe & Continental Patisserie, Darlinghurst. This profiterole is one of the better ones I've had, the caramel glaze is crunchy and the filling is smooth and lovely. To be honest I've walked up and down Victoria st and passed this cafe so many times and never came in until only months ago. And it's like discovering a gem because their french pastry and desserts are so good.

Mousse: Mousse Picasso (Layers of white and dark chocolate mousse, wrapped in folds of milk chocolate). with a caramel chocolate truffle. From La Renaissance Patisserie, The Rocks.
This popular cafe and patisserie serves delicious cakes, pastries, savouries, chocolates and macarons. There is an outdoor courtyard cafe which is one of my favourite places to sit down and read a novel at. 

Brownie: Guylian golden brownie with Belgian 65% chocolate ice cream. This is the best chocolate brownie I've ever had. O M G so good O M G! The ice cream is however quite ordinary though and is also half-melted when served to me. I mean it is expensive so I just expect it to be better. I suggest eating this brownie warm with some Baskin Robbins ice cream instead :)

Ice cream: A scoop of durian ice cream and a warm buttery bread from Pappa Roti on the side. I grew up eating durian so I love the fruit :)

Frozen yogurt: Apple pie frozen yogurt from Wowcow. Wow, Wowcow, this is the best frozen yogurt flavour ever! Love it love it loveee itt!

Gelato: Campari and orange marmalade gelato with flourless orange cake, Bounty gelato. From Gelato Messina.

More ice cream: Lindt dark chocolate ice cream with a champagne macaron. Lindt ice cream is as expensive as Guylian's but I don't mind this time as the ice cream is creamy and really delicious. Lindt's macaron is also top notch. Really good.

Chocolate: Josophan's fair trade certified chocolates. The dark, white and milk chocolate tasting bars and the yellow (65% cacao), pink (64% cacao), green (67% cacao) chocolate pieces. Josophan’s creates extraordinary fine chocolates, using Fair Trade certified chocolates and fresh flavour infusions. No preservatives, no artificial flavours, simply fresh, naturally flavoured, extraordinarily beautiful chocolates.

Cheese: Cheese platter from The Blu Bar at The Shangrila Hotel. This New York inspired Bar on the 36th level of Shangrila Hotel is one of my favourite Sydney bars and exudes total urban sophistication. And look at the view!

No comments:

Post a Comment