Thursday, March 13, 2014

My not so weekly 'weekly diary'

I can't believe that I haven't updated my weekly blog for weeks! There goes my new year resolutions :(
Well, what's done is done, hopefully it won't happen again :p

The last few weeks have been awesome, I saw 'Empire' at The Entertainment Quarter which is a mix of circus, comedy, vaudeville and burlesque and that show is amazing. What a sexy, exciting, at times funny, daring show.

)

I also read 'Wild Swans' by Jung Chang which I wrote on my last post

I saw a Swedish movie 'Pure', which I love. Although I don't think 'Pure' is the movie is for everyone, I personally really love it as I can feel the main character's fragile and sad emotion which is acted brilliantly by Alicia Vikander. The movie tells a story of Katarina, a young woman who loves Mozart, in which she can find a bit of peace in the midst of her troubled home life. By accident, Katarina is offered a job as a receptionist at a concert hall where she begins an affair with a married conductor. I love the beautiful classical music background throughout this film and some lovely words and phrases which often mentioned, including a quote by Kierkegaard -  'Courage is life's only measure' that ultimately shapes the storyline of this movie. This movie is a bit dark and tragic, yet shows a pure, fragile and strong, beautiful human spirit.

)

I love this video! This Beijing Circus act is absolutely mind blowing. WOWWWWW!

)

I've also been watching a few documentaries :
Secrets of South America : Extreme Beauty Queens.
This mini documentary is about the beauty queen industry in Venezuela. Billie JD Porter goes inside Miss Venezuela boot camp where plastic surgery and crazy diets transform ordinary young girls into rich and famous beauty queens. To succeed, the girls must impress Venezuela's king of beauty, Osmel Sousa, who is a ruthless perfectionist. The program follows a few girls, one of them is 18 year old Meyer as she progresses to the final stages of the contest. Her brother and cousin were both shot dead and she sees success in the competition as a way out of the slums where she and her family live. Her family work seven days a week to earn enough money to pay for her dresses and cosmetic surgery she has been told she needs to get ahead in the contest. So far she has had breast implants, a nose job, her teeth corrected and a mesh fitted to her tongue which makes it too painful to eat solids, and therefore easier for her to lose weight. She's hoping to do well in the contest (which she does at the end, become one of the 5 finalist) as it can transform her life and help her transform her family's life.

)

The Real White Queen and her rivals, part 1. The lives of these women are so fascinating.



The Real White Queen and her rivals, part 2.

)

I'm so amazed with those era and history so much that I ended up watching the ten parts British television drama series 'The White Queen' which is based on Philippa Gregory's historical novel series The Cousins' War (The White Queen, The Red Queen and The Kingmaker's Daughter). I love the the lush setting, the beautiful costumes, the engrossing storyline, and all the great acting, everything!



)

The amazing cast!
I love these 2 quotes:

- Haters will see you walking on water and say it's because you can't swim.

- Talking about our problems is our greatest addiction. Break the habit. Talk about your joys.


Whenever I have a boyfriend, I love making him a mix-cd, so I love this 'How To make The Perfect Mix' instruction :))



Ohhhh this 'Shiatsu Self Massage' really works! Try it :)

"I would hate to be a person that only looked forward to the weekend, what a waste of 5 days."
- Vanessa Prosser
If you aren’t amazed most of the time you aren’t paying attention.
— Michael Lipsey

Until next Saturday xx

Picture sources:
(the perfect mix) http://www.thebeautyofwordsblog.com
(self massage) http://cupofteaandspirit.tumblr.com/post/25655146475/massage
(the white queen cast) http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/the-white-queen-bbc/images/32636680/title/white-queen-cast-photo

No comments:

Post a Comment