Friday, September 14, 2012

SOME OF MY FAVOURITE PLACES FOR LUNCH (part 1)

"A man may be a pessimistic determinist before lunch and an optimistic believer in the will's freedom after it."  --Aldous Huxley

FRATELLI FRESH/ CAFE SOPRA POTTS POINT

I absolutely love Cafe Sopra, the food is so amazing and yet reasonable priced, the place is nice but has that casual, cool and relaxing vibe, and their bannoffee pie is to die for. They have a few branches, at Waterloo, Potts Point, Walsh Bay and Bridge st City. Their Walsh Bay branch is just opposite to Sydney Dance studio which I go often, and their Bridge st branch is just less than 5 minutes walk from where I live. I actually like their Potts Point branch the most as it is a great place to unwind and Potts Point is really a wonderful area full of great restaurants, cafes, bars and little shops. When dining alone, I love sitting facing the street and people-watch while having my wine and pasta :)

Orecchiette scallop. Oh Yum pasta and scallop together. What was I thinking having sparkling water instead of wine tho? Silly girl!

Although I love their banoffee pie the most, I also love trying all their other desserts. This is the Eton Mess (hence the mess). Just like that song. "A beautiful mess". ^^

CAFE SOPRA WALSH BAY

Mixed cured meat plate, grissini, bread & butter and a glass of Pommery. I love cured meat, I love champagne and I definitely love bread and butter. Everything is awesome and the Pommery is on special $10 a glass. ^^

WILBUR'S PLACE POTTS POINT
What a gem. At first I wanted to have lunch at my other fav restaurant LL Wine and Dine, but I wasn't aware that it closed for lunch on Wednesday so I went to this place instead which is just next door. The food really blew me away and is so cheap considering the taste, freshness and quality. 

Suckling pig plate. For $15, it is such an unbelievable value and it tastes out of this world. I have since came back and had the chicken liver pate sandwich which is awesome too and even cheaper (the sandwiches are cheaper than the meat plates). The Bourke st Bakery delicious bread plus the fresh pickles and well-prepared well-seasoned pate (or meat) make their sandwiches so good. It is simple yet so awesome and perfect. This small place is a favourite among the locals.

The place serves one local artisan beer and one Australian red and white wine by the glass to enjoy with the meal. Outdoor, sunny day, wine, bread, meat. Imagine that.

BAROQUE BISTRO THE ROCKS

Baroque Bistro is owned by the family who owned the amazing (my favourite) La Renaissance Patisserie at The Rocks. The casual yet chic restaurant itself is located at the historical The Rocks with the views of the beautiful Harbour Bridge, where the food is described as contemporary French. You can choose between a la carte, blackboard special or plats du jour which is $29 including a glass of wine and organic green salad (lunch only).

Duck liver and port parfait, pickled grapes, cornichon, baguette.
This is so good. Luscious, creamy, divine. This must be the best duck liver parfait I've ever tasted in my life! (and I've tasted quite a few ^^)

Mousles frites. Plat du Jour for Mondays.
Oh My Lord The portion is huge (look at the full bowl of fries) ! I couldn't finish all the fries (I went home crying after) But the mussels are so juicy and plump and I finished them all hehe :) ! I am so loving mussels when it is done as well as this.
Ps: Just to clarify I wasn't complaining about the huge portion ^^

AZUMA KUSHIYAKI SYDNEY

I love bento boxes for lunches with all its different cute little side dishes and other than Miso at World Square, my other favourite Japanese restaurant would have to be Azuma Kushiyaki. The food is faultless and the place is quite close to where I used to live. Ah how I love those Japanese skewers with all its different seasonings and sauces. Adorable and mouthwatering :)

Assorted Kushiyaki : Zucchini seasoned with dried Shiso leaf flakes, Paradise prawn with Salt, Chicken thigh fillet with Kushiyaki sauce, Chicken breast with Pickled plum mayo, Wagyu beef tenderloin with Yuzu citrus pepper. 
My favourite is the beef. So tender and flavoursome, but of course I love all the rest too :)

Kushiyaki Bento set. Assorted kushiyaki (top), rice, miso soup, appetiser, assorted salads, assorted tempura.

DAVID JONES OYSTER BAR/ DAVID JONES FOODHALL SYDNEY

Oysters with Yarra Valley roe, Tetsuya soft smoked ocean trout, free green salad, free bread and butter (^_~) and a glass of white wine (~_~)

I love having lunch and spending my spare time/ day off/ holiday/ holidays/ birthday/ sick day/ gloomy day/happy day/payday at David Jones Foodhall. It is like heaven to me and you can find just about almost anything here, it has the best local produces and also gourmet foods imported from around the world. It has a bakery, patisserie, gourmet butcher, seafood, delicatessen, cheese counter, rotisserie, fresh fruit & vegetable section, a liquor store, amazing selection of chocolates (including Godiva chocolates), pasta bar, oyster bar, wine bar, panini bar, cheese and antipasto bar, noodle bar, sushi bar, gelato & juice bar, steak & grill bar, espresso bar.
Man oh Man. Holy Crackamoli.

To be Continued to part 2 (I need to finish this now because I'm really hungry and need to eat) ^o^

"I haven't trusted polls since I read that 62% of women had affairs during the lunch hour. I've never met a woman in my life who would give up lunch for sex."  --Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment