Sunday, September 30, 2012

The best lunch I've ever had (at PIER RESTAURANT)

Pier was a premier fine-dining destination in Sydney, well known for its wonderful seafood and equally beautiful view over Rosebay water. 
Sadly, on July 31 2012, Greg Doyle closed Pier for good, after almost 21 years running it and along the way awarded some of Australia's top restaurant award, including the most prized 3 hat in Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide and Gourmet Traveller Restaurant of the year. He wanted a break and travel and Pier under someone else is not an option. The Sailors Club then opened at the same location on August 11, managed by his daughter, Jacqui Lewis and some of Pier's key staffs, including executive chef Steve Skelly and pastry chef Nic Waring.

Pier is such a beautiful restaurant, it is elegantly furnished and the huge glass windows overlooks the marina view which is magical, whether it is day or night. I had a lunch here just a week before they closed their door for good. This is my second time dining at Pier, having had a degustation on my first visit ages ago (before starting my blog) and this time around having a 3 course lunch special meal ($90 including a glass of French Champagne). My dining partner doesn't drink so I drank 2 glasses ^^

Entree John Dory carpaccio. Pretty, delicate and I dare say, is the best carpaccio I've ever had in my life. This dish in its own right worth a visit!

Main And this is the best tuna dish I've ever had too! I love tuna as it is light, yet also quite meaty and when the quality is this fresh, and is done perfectly, uniformly medium rare, just with a touch of salt, the tuna really shines (and sings) and it is just so gorgeous.
I read in smh.com.au that it was during a week working at 2 two-Michelin-star restaurant in Paris in 1994 that Grey Doyle learnt the technique of undercooking fish, so it would be perfectly cooked by the time it hit the diner's mouth.

(My friend's) Dessert Valrhona Chocolate Cremeux. This has jelly, puree, date, dark chocolate mousse, ice cream, salted caramel, crushed macadamia, biscuit crumbs and some other awesome stuffs. Wow. This dessert is fun, brilliant and tasted amazing. I love dessert which has a lot of different stuffs in it (textures, tastes, colour, technique) it makes me all inspired and excited ^^

(My) Dessert Apple and kiwi Valcherin. This dessert is lovely, like a tropical freshness in a plate. It is quietly confident and so different from the decadent chocolate dessert, yet still draws you in and perfect all the same.

Overall my dining experience is exceptional. Pier's food excels and excites and the service is very professional and smooth. It is sad that the restaurant is no longer opens now. This truly is the best lunch I've ever had :)

"Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements."  --Marcel Boulestin
"I visited every three-star restaurant in Australia this year, and as good as each of them was, the meals at Pier, our Restaurant of the Year award-winner, were the ones that really stood out. They were just flawless." --Gourmet Traveller 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment