Friday, January 3, 2014

FOOD HIGHLIGHTS 2013

I am so excited! These are some of my favourite foods from 2013! I love posting about foods in my blog, although I probably wouldn't call myself a food blogger. Because, no 1, I don't explain much about the details of the dish, like what are the ingredients and how they make the dish. (I just eat, post some pictures, with some brief descriptions and some lame words such as 'delicious' or 'amazing'). Haha! No 2, I don't post all the food that I eat (I only post the ones that I like). I don't like giving bad reviews so if I don't like some dishes, I just simply not post it in my blog or instagram. No 3, I don't categorize my food post into cuisines, areas, etc. It's way too complicated for me :) (I just want to write a simple blog that's all! ^^), so I only have 2 categories: Fine Dining (usually 1-2 fine dining restaurants per post) and Food diary (pretty much everything else that I eat). I really love reading some of the food blogs out there, they are so descriptive, informative and honest/brutal when rating about the foods. My blog is more about my life and I want the stuffs that I choose to put in here to be beautiful and only my favourite things and some of my memorable life events. Which is the reason why I only post about my favourite foods (so there will be no negative stuffs in my blog at all).
:)

BREAKFAST @ JANUS CAFE

Janus homemade sourdough soy linseed with homemade 3 fruits marmalade jam & Lemongrass tea.  I love a good bread with some butter and a good jam (this one is lovely!), with a good cup of warm interesting tea for breakfast. I don't normally eat a heavy breakfast so this is light enough and perfect for me. Now I'm ready to function and face the day! :)

Omelette with mushroom, tomato and feta. Look how it is all gooey when I cut it open :)
Janus Cafe is really close to my previous apartment. They make good burgers and coffee too.

LUNCH

Lunch at Cloudy Bay Fish Co at Westfield Sydney. I had some fresh oysters, crab tacos, fresh green salad, bread and butter with a glass or Riesling. What can I say? I love oysters and crab and wine!

Blue swimmer crab tacos, with white cabbage, salsa and avocado. Fresh and delicious.

Crispy ocean trout with celeriac puree, steamed broccolini and spinach. From Cook & Archies, Surry Hills. This dish tastes AMAZING! The fish skin is crispy, the fish cooked into perfection, the greens are beautiful and the puree is smooth. I love the clean and simple, but elegant presentation too.

Sustainable grass fed medium rare beef sandwich with horseradish aioli. From Bread and Circus, Alexandria. Yum! The bread is amazing (For me, when I order a sandwich, the bread is the most important thing.) And the filling: the beef is pefectly medium-rare and the fresh salads are well-seasoned. Nothing too complicated, but everything is done really well!

'The Preston' Dark callebaut chocolate steamed with earl grey infused milk. From Bread and Circus, Alexandria. Yes beef sandwich and hot chocolate is not the perfect pairing, but sometimes I just don't care :)

at Bread and Circus. Will order all of these next time! :))

Steamed fish with Asian green, royal quinoa and red rice. Steamed rice crepes with pork and wood ear mushrooms. Prawn and scallop dumpling. Shanghai pork dumpling. Pork bun.
From Miss Chu. I feel healthy whenever I eat at Miss Chu. The food is so flavoursome and wholesome.

Had a Chinese Hotpot buffet at The Red Lantern Hot Pot & BBQ Restaurant, Eastwood. Ahh... I love hotpot, I love buffet and I love how I get my own individual hotpot in this restaurant (so I can make my soup as spicy as I want)! ^^

Bobo de camarao from Ovo Cafe, Darlinghurst. I love this fragrant, slightly spicy Brazilian shrimp dish. So yummy!

Pulled pork burger, bbq sauce, red slaw, fennel mayo. From my favourite burger place, Chur Burger, Surry Hills.

'Midtown bagel' Corned beef, gruyere, sauerkraut, mustard mayonnaise. This bagel version of reuben is probably better than most reuben sandwiches I've ever had!

Fresh crab meat roll with lemon and herb aioli. Bought this roll for my late lunch at David Jones food hall during after lunch hours for only $4 (half price). Such a bargain and still tasted good! :)

I am a vegetarian twice a week and these two pasta dishes are my two favourite vegetarian dishes of last year!
3 Mushroom pasta with tomatoes and parmesan cheese. From Sel et Poivre, Darlinghurst. 
I love mushroom, I love pasta, I love parmesan cheese and the flavour combination of everything in this dish is just perfect! Nothing to fault!

Gnocchi with eggplants, olives, napoletana sauce with smoked provolone, from Teru Cafe & Pizza, Glebe. This is a daily special dish and I am such a lucky girl to coincidentally passed this restaurant, had a lunch here and ordered this dish. For someone who is normally not big crazy on olives and eggplants, I was surprised at how much I loved this dish. I love it love it so much :)

DINNER AT CATALINA RESTAURANT, ROSE BAY.
Open lasagne of Moreton Bay bugs and avruga. This is such a sumptuous entree!

Champagne jelly with fresh raspberries and pomegranate, and raspberry ripple ice cream. I love the wobbly jelly (the best jelly I've ever had!) and I also love the super thin dried strawberry pieces. Overall, one of the best dessert I've ever had in a restaurant. Very sophisticated and pretty presentation, and not too tart or sweet, just beautiful fresh taste. Although I normally choose an indulgent creamy dessert (soufflé/chocolate/something with lots of cream) over a refreshing berry one, I am glad that I chose this dessert (I chose it because of the champagne component ha!). Once in a while I'd like to choose something light for a dessert and this is such a nice surprise. I really love it! Every component works together well and such a well thought clever dessert.

COCKTAIL AT ZETA BAR, THE HILTON HOTEL.
Ketel one Citroen, St German elderflower, fresh lemon and rock melon, shaken up with a touch of Chardonnay. Served with rock melon & pistachio foam and some pistachio nuts on the side. 
Haha I can't lie. I love a fancy cocktail in a nice bar!

DESSERTS
Ruby cake (Orange scented mousse, hazelnut dacquoise, choc hazelnut crisp, vanilla, hazelnut mousse, cinnamon meringue) & Canolli. From Lorraine's Patisserie, near the Ivy.
I would say this is one of the best cake I've ever had and one of the best canolli too! I love Lorraine's Patisserie!

Salted caramel pannacotta from the amazing Black Star Pastry, Newtown. One of my favourite thing in the world is salted caramel. That combination of sweet and salty! And plus a silky pannacotta to top that off!

Pistachio eclair, with Olive oil & white chocolate macaron from Becasse Bakery, Sydney Westfield. Love the beautiful green colour ;)

Paris Brest from Via Del Corso, Sydney Westfield. Choux pastry with hazelnut cream filling. I love the presentation (love the edible gold dust), and yet the taste is even better than its look. I would rate it 10/10 :)

I love a pretty dessert. This is Pannacotta with blueberry and mango jelly, sliced mango and hazelnut and pistachio biscuit. Also from Via Del Corso, Sydney Westfield.

Raspberry and white chocolate cake with raspberry puree and white chocolate buttercream. From my favourite cupcake shop, Ghermez Cupcakes.

Moist strawberry cake layered with passionfruit curd, white chocolate and passionfruit buttercream filled with milk chocolate ganache and raspberry macaron on top. Also from Ghermez Cupcakes.

Happy Mother's Day Mom! I love youuuuuuuuuu :)

GELATO MESSINA GELATO CAKES
'Arabian Knights' Little dome of pistachio gelato and rosewater marshmallow coated in orange scented chocolate, sitting on a flourless chocolate biscuit base. Topped off with a chocolate velvet spray and a stick of dark chocolate and pistachio crumbs.

When cut opened! Hooray!

'Gula Melaka' Palm sugar gelato, Rosewater praline fudge, Hazelnut feuilletine, Raspberry gele. Such a lovely combination of flavours :)

'My Big Fat Greek Paddlepop' Yogurt gelato, cucumber & lime sorbet, blood orange sorbet. 

So amazingly fresh! Not too sweet or tart. One of the best thing I've ever tasted! I want to have it every day!

ICE CHOCOLATE AND ICE CREAM
Cognac Ice Chocolate From Kakawa Chocolates, Darlinghurst. Wow! I love everything in here. The chocolate shop has an amazing collections of handmade chocolates, different varieties of ice cream sandwiches, amazing fudges, meringues, chocolate bars & spreads, chocolate spoons (different flavours which you dip into hot milk to instantly make yourself a hot chocolate), caramels, etc etc. All of their products are gluten free, using only the finest natural ingredients, with no artificial flavours or preservatives. Kakawa is voted for no 1 chocolate shop in Sydney in Time out March 2013.

Peanut butter & jam gelato from Grand Gelato, Glebe. I love peanut butter & jam so I was more than delighted to find this peanut butter & jam gelato :D

RIVARENO GELATO
RivaReno Gelato (Surry Hills)'s philosophy is based upon a constant search in all the world for the finest ingredients. Their gelatos aren't on display like normal other gelato places, but stored in the traditional Italian way, in pozetti which are covered metal containers. In results, their gelatos are so lush, smooth and creamy. This place is open until 12am (Friday Saturday) and 11pm every other night and it's literally only two minutes walking distance away from my place. How awesome is that?!
 Zabaione gelato. Classic Italian crema with Marsala wine. Yum!


White cream gelato with a hint of Madagascar bourbon vanilla & Salted caramel with pink Himalayan sea salt. My 2 favourite flavours!

Nocciola Piemonte (beautiful hazelnuts you can get from Piedmont, Italy), Pistachio Bronte (best pistachios from Bronte, Sicily) and Cocco (Sri Lankan coconut milk with coconut shavings). Wow the ingredients are top notch!

 
Creamy pinenut gelato with toasted pinenuts. I've never had pinenut gelato before and this one blows my mind. Mind blown!

One of my favourite at RivaReno is 'Alice'. Mascarpone, premium marsala, with Gianduja sauce. The Gianduja sauce is so decadent chocolatey good!

 Sheep's milk ricotta from Kangaroo Island with caramelised figs.

 'Sweet Alabama' Creamy chocolate from Piedmont with pure crushed peanut butter crushed fresh each week.

New York New York (Organic Canadian maple syrup and caramelised pecan gelato) & Arabica coffee gelato with chocolate silvers.  Served in a sweet warm brioche bun ;)
Definitely he best coffee gelato I've ever had, it has quite a strong coffee taste. If you love coffee, you have to come and try this :)

 
Affogato with 'Contessa' gelato (Sicilian almonds and Piedmont hazelnuts with crushed amaretti and caramelised almond). My favourite gelato to go with the espresso coffee. The combined nuts flavours just go so well with the espresso and I love biting into the caramelised almonds. Very Nice!

N2 EXTREME GELATO

N2 gelatos are made with liquid nitrogen on the spot, when you order it. "A lot of shops keep the gelato in the freezer for weeks so they don't have the freshness of the product. By doing it this way it replicated the beautiful moment when it first comes off the churn", said the ex-accountant owner. I love all their crazy flavours which changes weekly (so far everything I've had have been excellent). The gelatos are so smooth and creamy and fresh. 

 'Rootbeer Float' Rootbeer sorbet topped with a scoop of vanilla bean gelato. Wow, tasted just like a root beer float! I love how smooth the rootbeer sorbet is. I've never had a sorbet this smooth.

 
Passionfruit cheesecake gelato and Creme brûlée gelato. The Passionfruit cheesecake has a buttery crumb on top while the Creme brûlée comes with a proper blow torched toffee crust.

 Toasted coconut & white chocolate gelato with pandan cream and a tube of sweetened coconut milk. And Pear gelato with blue cheese and water crackers. Man who thought of all these flavours?! What a jenius!

 Blueberry Meringue Pie (Blueberry gelato, buttery pie crumble, homemade meringue) & Dill Dough (Chocolate chip cookie dough gelato crowned with a dill infused cucumber upright). Haha the dill dough has a funny name ;)

'Pash me Pavlova' Another cute name ;) Love the super smooth gelato with the crunchy meringues.

 
'Ferrero Reveal' Hazelnut & nutella gelato, Rice bubble choc top, Wafer and Warm chocolate ganacha syringe. This is just epic!
My plan in 2014 is to go to N2 twice a week and try at least 2 different flavours each week! :) #newyearresolution


Follow me on instagram at @natsydney if you'd like :)



HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE AND HAPPY EATING! X

No comments:

Post a Comment